Monday, March 13, 2006

Lingering LDS racism: one example

Some time ago a little web-essay entitled, "Who are the Signaturi", came to my attention. It is a delightful little piece (gag) that characterizes Mormon intellectuals in a very unflattering fashion. In the process of writing a piece for my blog, I revisited this thing.

In my re-reading of it I stumbled across an idea that offers one of the clearest examples of lingering racism in the LDS Church. Redelfs has a list of characteristics of people he calls the Signaturi. Number nine on that list is the one I want you to consider:

"9) Generally, they think the ban on blacks holding the Priesthood, which the Lord lifted in 1978, was the result not of God's law and revelation but culturally induced racial prejudice and bigotry on the part of the prophets and apostles."

There you have it, folks. In the enlightened view of Mr. Redelfs, the "Signaturi" erroneously attribute the ban on blacks holding the priesthood to the weakness of men, when it is clearly, at least clearly to Mr. Redelfs, the case that God was behind the whole thing. Case closed.

Never have I been more proud to be numbered among the Signaturi. I want no part in the company or sympathy of those who think that God is a respecter of persons, and that the gospel is not a free gift to all, "whether black or white."

Addendum: I have been informed that it was BYU professor and Mormon apologist William Hamblin who coined the term 'Signaturi'.